Re: Differential synchronization with mobile devices

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:27:45 +0100

mcode wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I've searched for information about what you said but your answer is
> not a good one according to me ;)
>
> I've searched about information on GetRight and it cannot be inserted
> in an Oracle configuration. Also I've sent an email to them but they
> did not dare to answer me ! So the answer is clearly no :)
>
> I find it lame that no information about differential synchronization
> with oracle softwares are not available out there on internet... :)
>
> See you
>

> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<ctlia7$9r3$1_at_news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>...
>

>>?code wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have the following architecture :
>>>Oracle 9i on a HP-UX system
>>>Oracle 9i Lite Server on a Windows 2000 system
>>>10 PDAs with Oracle lite, that synchronize with the databases on
>>>HP-UX, through 9i lite server.
>>>
>>>I know that it is possible to have large files (Executables for the
>>>PDAs) in the HP-UX Oracle database and transfer these ones to the PDAs
>>>through a synchronization process.
>>>
>>>But while a synchronization, if the connection hangs, is it possible
>>>to restart the synchronization without having to transfer all the data
>>>again ? I mean : restart the synchronization from the last bytes
>>>transferred... Then If the connection would hang at 2Mb out of 4Mb, it
>>>would not try to transfer the first 2Mb again...
>>>
>>>I hope I've been clear enough...
>>>
>>>THank you very much :)
>>
>>Isn't that what GetRight and all these other download
>>managers do?
>>So the answer is clearly yes, provided the server
>>understands certain commands.

You asked whether it was possible to have restartable downloads - yes; GetRight does it. So you could probably do it, provided
(implied: you are smart enough to do what GetRight does) the server allows for the REST (restart) command in some way or another.
In PL/SQL (you're gonna ask anyway) it would be something like:
- if restart is NULL then position := 0; else

   position := restart;

- move pointer to position;
- flush from there
- increse position by buffersize
- loop until done

Nowhere did I suggest GetRight, or any download manager could be incorporated in Oracle.

And synchronisation is called Replication in Oracle, and has 2 manuals (concepts and API)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel