Re: rollback space

From: Tom Dyess <tdyess_at_dysr.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:05:22 -0500

<manish.nevrekar_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1107369583.318529.264990_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> 1) Each row has 10 columns. Approximately 70 B each row.
> 2) No lobs
> 3)No other transactions are running, this is a batch load, any other
> transaction if running at all is select.
> 4) there are no on isert triggers on the table.
>
> I beg to differ on commiting after every 'x' rows. I always prefer to
> commit once at the end of the transaction. Commiting often is
> definitely more work plus there is always the chance of the dreaded
> ORA-01555 "Snapshot too old" error.
> In my ETL procedures every insert and update is time stamped and hence
> it can be identified.
> Thanks
> Manish

Here's a pretty good article on the "Snapshot too Old." I committing every x rows shouldn't cause a problem. Concerning it being more work, it shouldn't take too long, or at least you'll make up for it by having your insertion work as desired. Have you tried Oracle's direct data loading? I've used DOA for Delphi and it utilizes this capability.

http://www.oraclepower.com/WebPortal/webportal?aid=sr&id=11337

--
Tom Dyess
OraclePower.com