Re: Frequent log switches during sqlldr batch jobs

From: Thorsten Jens <thojens_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2 Feb 2005 22:43:38 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> When I have systems that have a great variance in redo usage at
> different times, I usually size the redo for the high usage times,
> and cron a switch to keep low usage times at reasonable intervals
> (which probably means I'm old-fashioned more than anything else
> regarding init parameters), where reasonable is defined as
> management-approved recovery granularity.

That is indeed an interesting option, I had not thougt about using cron yet.

> I'm sure you've considered nologging options followed by a backup?
> (see direct-path insert in concepts manual).

I don't know how the insert are done at the moment, but I guess nologging could be used since the inserted data can be reproduced at any time (it comes from an external host application, and I think the tables are truncated/recreated in our datbase at each load). This is my first DBA job, and I've only just "taken over" this database, so I'm not that familiar with it yet.

Thorsten Received on Thu Feb 03 2005 - 00:43:38 CST