Re: Database link question

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:15:49 +0100

On 1 Feb 2005 13:29:12 -0800, amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I see so many database links created as linkname.WORLD.
>
>Why the .WORLD all the time? If my GLOBAL_NAMES is set to FALSE, can
>I not just create a link name without the .WORLD? What does that
>represent?
>
>Arthur

database links consist of database name + domain. Pre 8i, the default domain was always WORLD. Also this was included as
names.default_domain = world
in sqlnet.ora

Also it got automatically appended to any database link you specified without using a domain.

If you have this setting in sqlnet.ora, delete the world string.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA