Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:07:54 -0800

Mark A wrote:
>>>Whoa ... time out. Excuse me. And utterly untrue. No database I can
>>>think of "needs" a primary key. Common sense, data integrity,
>>>performance, and scalability demand them.
>>
>>Amen to that.
>>
>>Death to database designers creating tables without any constraint and
>>without any index.
>>--
>>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

> The biggest problem is usually that too many indexes are created.

That certainly seems to be true with commercial applications but the exact opposite with in-house development. The rarest thing of all is indexes created after development based upon someone actually running the application and tuning against a realistic load.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington