Re: shutdown mmediate gets hung

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 31 Jan 2005 16:18:46 -0800

snip

> Reason for using shutdown abort is not to wait indefintely for
shutdown
> to happen late in the night if some process is connected to database.
> If I am not mistaken, Oracle recommends this procedure: shudtown
> abort, startup, shutdown immediate when one is trying to put shudtown
> script for automatc shutdown during system reboots etc.
> Script has always woked fine, problem hapened this Sunday.

Allright that help me understand a little. Many people would recommend architecting this somewhat differently -- try a shutdown immediate first, build something else into your scripting that will then do a shutdown abort if the shutdown immediate doesn't take and only then. Several ways to approach this in a script.

Similarly, build in some alerting and notification so that if things don't happen as you expect them to, someone finds out faster. Received on Mon Jan 31 2005 - 18:18:46 CST