Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:10:25 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1107202804.770313_at_yasure...
> A $13.8 million dollar discount? I don't know how they can walk down the
> street without stopping in every confessional.

I know of an Oracle customer that has publicly referred to the goodness of RAC, in particular it enables them to roll out databases quickly and on commodity hardware to their internal client base. It saved them seven figure sums in hardware very quickly. Naturally they have an all encompassing site licence and so did not pay anything extra at all for RAC :). PR cuts both ways (hence I suspect Mark's facetious comments).

In passingm but the vendors don't actually care so in vain, I'd really love to see TPCC on 4 processor intel servers with no more than say 10 SCSI disks and 8gb ram from IBM,DB2 and Oracle.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA