Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:22:41 -0800

Mark Townsend wrote:

> Mark A wrote:
>

>> Now clearly, there are some advantages to the Oracle RAC configuration
>> that
>> DB2 does not have, but cost of initial investment or cost of ownership is
>> not one of them.
>>

> I do note (in passing and completely facetiously) that the IBM result
> has a stunning $13.8 million discount off the nearly $30 million price tag.
>
> So at the very least, even the mention of a potential Oracle RAC
> configuration (perhaps running on Linux) should be good for at least a
> similar 47% discount on hardware from IBM. Now there is an advantage of
> an Oracle RAC configuration that even DB2 users can partake of :-P

The balance remaining after that discount, $16.2 million, would buy 4629 2 proc 1U servers from CDW for a total of more than 9250 CPUs. Ok ... give me the money and 30 days I'll take them on. Anytime ... Anwhere. A $13.8 million dollar discount? I don't know how they can walk down the street without stopping in every confessional.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington