Re: Intenational character sets

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:31:14 -0600

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:04:11 +0100, Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:34:16 +0100, Frank van Bortel
>> <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>>>Ed, you know you will never be able to store a 2 byte character in
>>>a 8-bits Oracle database (and West-European on top of it! :) ).
>>>So, whatever angle, you're going to loose on this one....
>>>
>>>And... Sybrand is right: French characters do not take more than
>>>one byte - most of the time.
>>>

>> Well, at this point, I *don't* *know* a whole lot -- and understand
>> even less. ;-) (Though, yes, I do understand that if one truely
>> needs double-byte character support, the db has to be created for it.)
>>
>> What I thought I understood was that French characters *can* be
>> represented in a single-byte character set. Specifically, the
>> Globalization Support Guide, in table 2-3 specifically says French is
>> supported with ISO8859-1. I was hoping that the developers were just
>> assuming that because a few French characters don't appear in the
>> English/American alphabet they necessarily require double-byte
>> representation and so were exploring ways to do that.
>>

>>>Call a managers meeting, tell 'em what the options are:
>>>1) decide on a single byte character set, or
>>>2) decide on a multi byte character set.
>>>
>>>If 1), it's the nls_ settings and websphere..., if 2, you need
>>>to rebuild your db, as 8859P1 is not a subset of UTF.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Ed Stevens
>>
>> Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing.
>
>Assuming UCS2 clients (Windows!), and a websphere application that
>generated uses encoding=ISO-8859-1, the browser should take care of
>the 2 byte to 1 byte conversion.
>Because, according to ISO-8859-1, the french characters (what _are_
>french characters?!?) are included in the upper half of the code set.
>
>The Globalization Guide shows all characters, doesn't it? Ask
>whether they expect other characters as well, and act accordingly.
>
>And have them meet madame guillotine :)

"(what _are_french characters?!?"

You've got me! I was thinking there are some variant diacritical marks, like the German umlauts. However, a Yahoo search on 'French alphabet' led me to
http://www.single-serving.com/French/GP/alphabet.php, which only shows one such character.

*As an aside, my degree being in music, I feel comfortable reading/pronouncing -- but not understanding what I'm saying -- Spanish, German, Italian, and Latin. But French? The few times I've had to sing something in French convinced me that there is no connection between their written language and their spoken language! Thanks.

Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing. Received on Mon Jan 31 2005 - 13:31:14 CST