shutdown mmediate gets hung

From: <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2005 08:54:15 -0800

I am on oracle 8.1.6.2 on HP UNIX 11i.

I am using following code to shutdown my database every Sunday: svrmgrl <<eof
connect internal
shutdown abort
startup
shutdown immediate
exit
This shutdown has been working fine until now, but this week end shutdown immedaite got stuck (see alert.log below): Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
Shutting down instance (immediate)
License high water mark = 2
Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
SMON: disabling tx recovery
Mon Jan 31 05:33:08 2005

Eventhough ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL was issued at 15:06:31, it did not shutdown the database.

There was nothng running between startup and shutwon immediate.

Can anyone tell me how to overcome this problem. I use shutdown abort (to force shutdown independt of anything running, then startup and then shutdown immediate...).

Should I change startup to startup restrict eventhough I do not see that is the cause.

Thanks a lot,

Prem Received on Mon Jan 31 2005 - 10:54:15 CST