Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:56:27 -0500

Mark Townsend wrote:
> Serge Rielau wrote:

  > Of course. There will always be shades of gray. But I can sleep at night
> knowing that the TPC-C does _indeed_ run on a RAC cluster without the
> need for any special 'app infestation'. I also know that other
> non-benchmark applications run quite happily on RAC with the need for
> data locality. So in this case, if you are seeing something, I'm sure
> its there just to get maximum performance in a benchmark scenario, and
> is not necessarily indicative of a requirement in a real world
> scenarion, anymore than the faux partitioning in the DB2 benchmark is
> indicative of a requiremment in a real world scenario (FYI - is it the
> table limit thingy ?)

Yes it is. In DB2 + DPF there is no issue, which ironically makes teh design simpler in TPC-C. On an SMP box the 4 byte row-id poses a scaleup limit. UNION ALL. performance wise, gets very close to where I expect partitioning to end up, which - no secret there - is in the works, and, of course, preferable from a managability standpoint.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau