Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:48:49 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Mark A wrote:
> How about a survey of those here in this group that have been subjected
> to our divergent opinions. Not scientific but I'm willing to ask as I
> rarely refuse to learn new things.
>
> How many people here have had the experience of using the TPC benchmarks
> as a criterion that they considered in making a decision between
> purchasing an RDBMS from Oracle vs IBM vs Informix vs Sybase vs
> Microsoft?
>
> If you did how important was it on a scale of 0 (ignored completely) to
> 10 (the most important decision maker). And of all of the decisions of
> which you have been party ... what percentage of them involved any
> usage of a TPC benchmark.
>
> So there it is ... cards on the table. Let the mayhem begin.
>
> I vote nearly worthless because even though we knew the numbers we also
> knew they bore no relationship to what we were doing. I score TPC a 2
> and about 5%.

Wrong crowd. Also the question more the other way around. The decision makers do not read this group. Also question is not so much: Ar eyou the winer today? The question is whether a company participates and has a good track record. You loose by not showing up at the event. If DB2's absense from TPC-C wouldn't have hurt its OLTP credibility in the marketplace (despite participation in packaged app benchmark) it wouldn't have been taking up this effort. I do think though that the benchmarks are a good test bed for engineers, (just like the autombile industry is engaged on the race-tracks)

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau