Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:00:57 -0800

Mark A wrote:

> 4. I think that customers can decide for the themselves whether it is useful
> for determining which database product to use, and in what configuration to
> use it (SMP or multiple nodes) for their application requirements (OLTP or
> decision support).

We are in absolute agreement.

If customers are interested in large scale SMP boxes for OLTP then they can peruse both the DB2 and Oracle SMP TPC-C results. Both are good, the DB2 one on the new IBM hardware _is_ outstanding. Well done IBM.

If customers are interested in large scale cluster architectures for OTLP, particulary running Linux, then they can peruse the Oracle RAC TPC-C results. Unfortunately DB2 does not have a current TPC-C result available on a cluster, Linux or otherwise.

And, if customers are also interested in cluster architectures for large scale Data Warehouses (1 Tb and above), then they can peruse the DB2 and Oracle RAC TPC-H results. If they are interested in Linux clusters for large scale Data Warehouses than unfortunately they are constrained to just a set of Oracle results again.

On the other hand, if customers are interested in large scale SMP architectures for Data Warehousing (1Tb and above), then they can peruse the Oracle SMP TPC-H results (there are a mix of operating systems available). Unfortunately DB2 does not have a current 1Tb+ TPC-H available on a SMP. I'm sure they are working on one, however.

After all, choice is a wonderful thing. Sort of makes you glad that open systems didn't die after all.

Of course, in all cases, customers should also do their own performance evaluations of their own workload, consult with their hardware vendor, talk to an analyst or two, and check references carefully. Received on Mon Jan 31 2005 - 00:00:57 CST