Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:18:54 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:

> There we go.. and you avoided talking about the app awareness all together.

True, but I have to admit I'm having trouble spotting any data locality code based on a cursorary glance at the FDR. I'm sure it's there if you say so (I'm sure IBM has pulled the FDR apart), so I'll take you at your word.

> So from Oracle RAC requires no app changes to scale we are to shades of
> grey.

Of course. There will always be shades of gray. But I can sleep at night knowing that the TPC-C does _indeed_ run on a RAC cluster without the need for any special 'app infestation'. I also know that other non-benchmark applications run quite happily on RAC with the need for data locality. So in this case, if you are seeing something, I'm sure its there just to get maximum performance in a benchmark scenario, and is not necessarily indicative of a requirement in a real world scenarion, anymore than the faux partitioning in the DB2 benchmark is indicative of a requiremment in a real world scenario (FYI - is it the table limit thingy ?) Received on Sun Jan 30 2005 - 23:18:54 CST