Re: Upgrading AIX 4.2 to AIX 5.2 but database version going to be same

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:33:41 -0800

suresh manampilly via OracleMonster.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a client who doesn't want upgrade their oracle 7.3.4 which is running on AIX 4.2 server now and they want to upgrade the OS to AIX 5.2.
>
> I have 7.3.4 CD's, Do i need to install 7.3.4 on AIX 5.2 server then move the database?
>
> or
>
> just copy oracle_home and database from AIX 4.2 server to new server and bring it up?
>
> Do anyone already done this in any unix platform just upgraded the OS?
>
> Thanks
>
> Suresh

I think you need to consider the lack of certification and the lack of support. Your client needs to recognize that upgrading the operating system while using Jurassic-era software is a complete waste of time likely leading to a disaster.

What is it they think they are buying with this request? My advice, unless you have a really good insurance policy is to just say No!

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington