Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:44:00 -0700

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:41FC47F1.7090409_at_comcast.net...
> Mark A wrote:
>
> > Scalability for OLTP using multiple nodes is difficult because it cannot
use
> > a true share nothing architecture.
>
> The HP result of over a million transactions per minute on 16 nodes sort
> of belies this statement a little (but only a little, you do need some
> _smart_ software to make this work).

Just to clarify, I mean that OLTP does not scale as well as Decision Support using parallel queries on partitioned tables.

But the point of the benchmark results from IBM/DB2 is that the single node (64 processor machine) seems to scale better than the 16 node (4 CPU per node) Oracle benchmark for TPC-C. Of course to know for sure, the processors on the Oracle RAC benchmark would have to be upgraded from 1.5 GHz to 1.6 GHz (to make Daniel happy) and the number of nodes would need to increase by at least 2 times to match the IBM/DB2 results. Received on Sat Jan 29 2005 - 20:44:00 CST