Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:51:40 -0700

"hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:1107023428.424973.192930_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> It seems to me to be somewhat naive to post a copy and paste including
> the title without including any comments.
>
> Possibly a better approach might have been to use as the title
> something like "interesting tpc database benchmark info".
>
> Anyone who just puts in a copy and paste (granted a url was included)
> without any comment especially given the title seems to me to be asking
> for trouble.
> To be surprised that people would be offended?
>
> Just my opinion.

That is good point. Generally, I like to cut and paste (maybe it is laziness), and generally I like to quote exactly. I think that anyone who followed the link could see that the entire post and subject line were from the IBM web site.

But Daniel Morgan was not offended by that one post alone. He is a frequent troll on the DB2 newsgroup, even though he knows almost nothing about DB2 and does not have a copy of DB2 installed (unless he very recently has done so). Many of Daniels's comments about DB2 vs. Oracle posted on the DB2 newsgroup have been ridiculous and wrong, and I and others have pointed that out to him on many occasions.

To his credit, Daniel has backtracked on "some" of his most ridiculous comments (he got confused when talking about "share nothing" architecture), but his animosity to me is from the DB2 newsgroup, and not because I posted here. As others on this newsgroup have pointed out, Daniel can be very mean spirited at times (that is being generous).

Actually, I think the overall response was not completely negative. I think that many would like to see an objective discussion of TPC benchmarks, without all the hyperbole from Oracle and IBM. Unfortunately, these things do often degenerate in partisan discussions from people who know nothing about the subject. But since Oracle is a long-time and very active supporter of the TPC (with both people and money), I think it is a legitimate topic of discussion. Received on Sat Jan 29 2005 - 12:51:40 CST