Re: what to download and set up for a newbie?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:37:43 GMT

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:08:39 -0800, alanchinese wrote:

> thankx for your information. these are precious for a beginner like me.
> actually, i spent the past monthes on learning how to use MS.NET, only
> touched MSSQL a little bit. i am not even immediate MSSQL developer.
> i found the examples on installing oracle 9i in windows, just by
> clicking some links.
> your last paragraph confused me. what are the difference between MSSQL
> and Oracle? i interpreted that MSSQL is only one scheme out of a lot
> more schemes in Oracle? am i right?

What you are warned about: there are a lot terms that have different meanings based on different vendors. (Realize that MSSQL is about 15 years newer than Oracle. The difference in language is not [necessarily] Oracle's fault.)

That said, MSSQL "Database" is roughly equal to Oracle "Schema".

There are many, many other differences. The only things consistent is that the SQL language of both resembles that specified by the ANSI standard.

However, the way you use that SQL language in an application is dependant on the internal mechanisms. It depends on understanding the locking, latching and memory allocation mechanisms of the RDBMS. In Oracle's case, that is well described in Thomas Kyte's Effective Oracle by Design; that book should be a budget priority, followed by anything from the Oak Table (http://www.oaktable.net). Also use http://www.dizwell.com as a reference site.

> can you explain me more clearly?
> i noticed there are a lot more other products from oracle, not just the
> database. the application package is for you to develop UI for the
> database?

Oracle basically competes in every professional software sector, except gaming and office suites - they have challenges with consistently good user interfaces <g>. Pick your poison:

Content Management starts with database; Content Access starts with application server; Content Control starts with Developer Suite; Management of the above starts with Enterprise manager; and don't get me started on the applications <g>

god luck/FGB Received on Sat Jan 29 2005 - 08:37:43 CST