Re: what to download and set up for a newbie?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:29:12 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:18:10 -0800, alanchinese wrote:

> hi, i never installed and used oracle. i did a little bit of MS SQL
> Server. i went to oracle's website and it has a bunch of files to
> download for 10g. what's the minimum to download to run the oracle
> server and do queries with it? i want to see how it is comparing to
> MSSQLSVER. thankx a lot.

Consider starting with Oracle9i Release 2. That is available for download at the same place as Oracle Database 10g on Oracle Tech Net [OTN] (http://otn.oracle.com >> downloads)

The reason: I suspect you want to stay in the Windows environment. Therefore you could follow the step by step tutorial (with pictures) available under the "Oracle by Example" [OBE] section of OTN. With that experience, you can the move up to Oracle DB 10g quickly.

(Unfortunately, OBE on OTN is [was] only available for Linux and most Windows people get shell shocked. Starting with 9i and then upgrading will help you over the hurdles.)

BTW: There are a number of differences in terminology. The first most significant is that a MSSQL database is roughly equivalent to an Oracle schema - an Oracle database can have many schemas. If you are thinking of porting your knowledge, you will be disappointed as the similarities are in single SQL statements but not in the way you assemble applications.

hth/FGB Received on Fri Jan 28 2005 - 21:29:12 CST