Re: Intenational character sets

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:28:02 +0100

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:07:49 -0600, Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote:

>===============
>OMS does not have the database issue when the CHAR fields in the
>database use a BYTE semantic. This is what was set when we developed
>OMS. However, the CHAR fields were changed to use a CHAR semantic
>since french characters use more then one byte. When this was changed
>to the CHAR semantic, that is when the issue arised.
>
>I tested changing the database fields to a BYTE semantic again and OMS
>does not have the issue. From there I changed it back to use the CHAR
>semantic and recreated the mapping between the EJBs and database
>again. Again the issue occurred. There is a flag in Websphere that
>you can set for each field in an EJB to use the semantic CHAR or BYTE.
>I have made sure this flag is set to CHAR when I performed this test.
>
>I see this as a issue between the mapping of a String field in the EJB
>to a CHAR field in the database using the CHAR semantic.

Translated
(and I don't know Websphere at all)
Websphere needs a 2-byte characterset (so anything UTF) to store French characters (which is obviously quite ridiculous, as French characters are in any Latin-1 compatible 1-byte characterset) The database uses an one-byte characterset (or NLS_LANG on the webserver is set incorrectly)

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA