Diff. ANALYZE/ANALYZE FOR ALL COLUMNS ??

From: Spendius <spendius_at_muchomail.com>
Date: 28 Jan 2005 07:17:50 -0800

I've found noticeable differences between the different options of the ANALYZE TABLE command (in 8i):
>analyze table sc.xxx estimate statistics;
populates DBA_HISTOGRAMS and DBA_TABLES.LAST_ANALYZED, but

>analyze table sc.xxx estimate statistics for all columns;
also populates DBA_HISTOGRAMS with *much more* records but DBA_TABLES.LAST_ANALYZED remains to a null value...

Could someone explain me all the differences according to the different options (FOR ALL INDEXES, FOR ALL INDEXED COLUMNS...) and in particular the difference between the first two commands quoted above, that feed DBA_HISTOGRAMS so differently ?

Thanks a lot.
Spendius Received on Fri Jan 28 2005 - 09:17:50 CST