Re: Where to store indexes for partitioned tables?

From: MrSmee <mrsmee_at_postmaster.co.uk>
Date: 28 Jan 2005 04:51:26 -0800

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have to confess that I wasn't entirely sure of the purpose of putting the partition into individual tablespaces. I am working on a database that was developed by someone else. He chose to partition the table into tablespaces, but only did this at the point the database was created, and only for the months up to December 2004, so all data now just ends up in the last partition!!! So I need to come up with a way of adding new partitions, hence the "window sliding" method and I just assumed that I would continue to create new tablespaces each month and that they would automatically resize as required. However, the example I have seen of "window sliding" did not use tablespaces, as you suggest. I guess I was just following what had been done before.

Regarding indexes, is it okay to store them all in the default tablespace, or should they be given one of their own? A book I have on Oracle 10g says "indexes should be stored in dedicated tablespaces", unfortunately it doesn't give a good reason why. Aslo, my initial investigation has seen others contradicting this.

Many thanks. Received on Fri Jan 28 2005 - 06:51:26 CST