Re: oracle db performance issue

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:24:23 -0800

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1106849453.867036_at_yasure...
> nigist wrote:
>
> > We are having issue with the oracle db. we have production db and is
> > used by about 700 site and also we do a lot of reporting out of the
> > same db, and I was wondering what will be the best way to handle this
> > so that we will not be hitting the same db at the same time which makes
> > the performance very slow. Is it possible to have a duplicate or copy
> > of production db where we can use it only for reporting purpose and
> > update the copy on a nightly bases or is there a better way of handling
> > this situation?
> >
> > Thank you for your help
>
> Explore various forms of replication from Advanced Replication, not
> my favorite to DataGuard, the one I prefer.
>
> But how much work has actually been done tuning the production db.
> It might be more than capable of handling the load if properly
> tuned.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

In addition, you can use the database resource manager. We had some batch processes that affected users during lower usage times. We put those "users" in a lower CPU priority class vs users via the database resouse manager and VIOLA! things were better. If users were not using most of the CPU then the batch or reporting processes would get most of the CPU usage. If users were using the CPU then the reporting "users" got throttled back. Sure sometimes some of these batch processes sometimes take longer, but actual users keep good response.
Jim Received on Thu Jan 27 2005 - 19:24:23 CST