Faking Forms4.5 to 9iR2 DBMS

From: ErikYkema <erik.ykema_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: 27 Jan 2005 12:42:01 -0800

Hello,
I fear this silly, but I see it as an option. Our OLTP client application is in Forms4.5/Reports2.5. From Metalink I understood that connecting some versions of Forms4.5 to 8i is supported (for as long as it lasts).
Our underlaying DBMS is now being converted from 7.3.4. to 8iR3 - at last. But I have read a lot about 9iR2 new features and like to apply some of them.
Upgrading Forms to 6i or 9i is not supported by management since we will be purchasing a new release of our OLTP which will bring us a new set of 9i Forms - this migration not to be completed before mid 2006. I am wondering - would it be possible for the meantime to:
- convert the OLTP DBMS to 9i

I also believe that having the dblink over the bequeath protocol is not allowed since the dblink communications protocol should be the same as the client-server connection protocol (TCP/IP) accessing the link. Is there a serious performance penalty in having TCP/IP dblink traffic in the same machine. (I know Oracle Warehousebuilder 9i generates TCP/IP dblinks between instances on the same server.)

I am preparing a full test for this scenario, but any input would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Erik.Ykema_at_REMOVETHIS.we.nl Received on Thu Jan 27 2005 - 14:42:01 CST