Disaster...corrupted .CTL files instance won't start

From: Paul Brownjohn <Paul-no-spam-_at_brownjohn.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:29:26 +0100

This is a bit of a tale of woe...I had a power outage on my home system and it resulted in the contents of a hard drive getting a bit trashed.

The drive that went had my Oracle instance on (both Exes and data). On another partition (which also got stiffed) it had my backups...DAMN!!

It seems like what has happened is that the Control01.ctl, control02.ctl and control03.ctl files have been corrupted. The instance is looking for a something.ora50 file on a path that is clearly corrupted and in any case there are no *.ORA50 files anywhere on the whole server (I searched).

I have installed a new copy of Oracle 9i to a different partition and tried to access the previous schema using that but it says that it can't open it.

Is there any way to access the data and code in the .DBF files from the damaged schema? Is there any way to get them to load into the new instance for example?

Its not really the end of the world if it cannot be done but it will be a lot of evening's work re-writing a lot of tedious PL/SQL (its not even exciting stuff...just tedious!

TIA Paul BJ Received on Thu Jan 27 2005 - 14:29:26 CST