Re: imp from 8.1.7 to 8.1.6

From: <FlopEJoe_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2005 11:42:01 -0800

> Please look up the definition backward compatible.
> A higher version database is backwards compatible with a
> lower version client.
> Please keep your comments for elsewhere in this cosmos,
> preferably at least on the moon.

Sorry if I got a little glib and I agree "backwards compatable" is as you say. But as a software engineer, I always try to include a mechanism to allow data sharing from versions both forwards and backwards.

I understand it is possible to go from 817 to 816 but only if you have 816 installed. I didn't elaborate in the original question but our customer is touchy about various versions of anything on their system and is unwilling to reinstall 816. That is of course my problem, their secure system requires a lot of regulations to do anything.

I'd still appreciate an answer to the question "Would you think installing 9i Personal Edition, importing 817 dump, and exporting with 816 work?"

Thanks Received on Thu Jan 27 2005 - 13:42:01 CST