Re: 2 instances, 1 listener, services summary

From: yls177 <yls177_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2005 01:36:30 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> [...]
> you are experiencing, they need ALL the information, not your precis
of it.

> This extract in particular gives me no information. I cannot see
whether
> some of these lines are referring to dispatchers or not. Whether some

> really refer to instances and not services or not. Whether some lines

> read STATUS READY and others STATUS UNKNOWN or not. And so on.
>
> > a) both instances has the same port number.
>
> Instances don't have port numbers. Be precise. You have one listener,

> running on port 1521. Fine. Perfectly normal and acceptable.
>
> > b) in my listener configuration, i have only the instance_1
> > configuration.
>
> Yes, you have a static SID_LIST declaration of the fact that
instance_1
> exists. That should result in a line in lsnrctl status (or lsnrctl
> services) which states
>
> "service instance_1 has 2 instances...
> Instance "instance_1", status UNKNOWN..."
>
> ...because you've merely said "Listen out for this SID", but the poor

> listener has no idea whether it is actually running.
>
> You should also have a line saying :
>
> Instance "instance_1", status READY..."
>
> Because in 8i and above, instances register their actual existence
with
> the listener, using PMON, so that the listener knows very well that
the
> specific instance is up and running and available for connections.
>
> It is perfectly normal to have two instances listed for one service,
> provided one says READY and one UNKNOWN. It simply means the listener
is
> aware of instances via two mechanisms -one where you tell it in the
> SID_LIST, the other where PMON tells it.
>
> > c) both instances share the same oracle user
>
> Not an issue.
>
> > Questions
> > i) I am puzzled by the list of services summary as shown above.What
> > does it mean?
>
> Who can say? Because you didn't cut and paste, but decided to do an
edit
> job, and in the process stripped out all the relevant information!
>
> > ii) in my listener configuration, i have only the entry for
instance
> > 1. And i have checked that when i su to the oracle user , the
instance
> > is instance_1.
>
> That's not a question! What's the question? Your listener.ora doesn't

> mention instance_2, true enough. Yet your lsnrctl status command
reports
> on instance_2. Is the question, 'how come it manages to do so'? Then
the
> answer is: PMON registered the existence of instance_2 with the
listener
> at startup. For instance_2, in other words, you only have one of the
> listener notification mechanisms in place: dynamic instance
> registration. You have chosen not to mention instance_2 in the
SID_LIST
> section of the listener.ora, and therefore that mechanism is not in
use.
> That is also perfectly acceptable (though it will mean that you'll
never
> be able to manage instance_2 using Enterprise Manager, because the
> Intelligent Agent will not be aware of its existence... the
Intelligent
> Agent relies on the SID_LIST section of the listener.ora to work out
> what instances are available for managing).
>
> Incidentally, I notice that your global database name is INSTANCE_1.
If
> that is correct, it means you haven't created your databases
properly.
> If you're using the database configuration assistant, read the
relevant
> naming screen carefully: it spells it out that the global database
name
> should be in the form INSTANCE -dot- DOMAIN. And if you haven't got a

> real domain, invent one. Your global database name should have been,
> therefore, instance_1.local or instance_1.nodomain or
> instance_1.mydomain.com... anything at all, but not just the same
thing
> as the instance name.
>
> Because you didn't specify a domain name component of your global
> database name, you may well find that the actual global database name

> reported to the listener is 'instance_1.world'. "World" is what you
get
> in 8i when you don't specify a domain of your own, IIRC.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Hi HJR. Just to followup on this :D

LISTENER =

(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = sunrocks)(PORT = 1521))
)

)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = isle)
(ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/product/8.1.7)
(SID_NAME = isle)

)
)

lsnrctl gives the below
Services Summary...

isle          has 2 service handler(s)
orla          has 2 service handler(s)
isle          has 1 service handler(s)
isle          has 2 service handler(s)
isle          has 2 service handler(s)
orla          has 2 service handler(s)
orla          has 2 service handler(s)

The command completed successfully Received on Thu Jan 27 2005 - 03:36:30 CST