Re: java using Oracle Backend - Typical Use Patterns?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:39:50 -0800

Lee Chalupa via OracleMonster.com wrote:

> I'm a java web developer and I'm learning 10g in order to consult in Oracle-based shops. After reading much of the Oracle documentation, What I need to learn depends somewhat on how Oracle is being applied. I'd like to hear this group's perceptions of what are typical practices (if they do exist). For example, where is the business logic typically implemented? One way is to implement Oracle object types and use PL/SQL to implement the methods. Another way would be to keep the business classes in Java classes and use SQLJ inside Oracle. How much new work is being done with object types versus relational tables? If you DBAs had your choice of an application developer, what skills/knowledge do you want him to come in the door with?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee

Sounds like the makings of a good religious war but if you must .... the only correct answer is ... it depnds. And it depends on many things.

Always assume that data will be hit by multiple applications as well as by well-meaning DBAs. What you don't enforce in the backend will, over time, be corrupted so you must enforce data integrity at the back end. It may well be that you do so too in the front-end to give the end-user a better experience and cut down on needless network traffic but that is one of those "depends."

My rule of thumb is that the data integrity MUST be protected from a theoretical access made with an unapproved tool or an internal employee hacking in. That those rules that do not protect the data but rather support the user in making good choices are coded in the front-end or on the application server.

I can pretty much guarantee you, in advance, others will disagree. And if you ask this in a Java group ... most or all will disagree. But then we just don't give that bunch passwords. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington