Re: Migration from MS Access to Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:20:58 -0800

ZHA wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<41f041eb$1_2_at_127.0.0.1>...
>

>>ZHA wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Morgan
>>>
>>>Well there is no question buried in this matter. I can do this work
>>>myself but i want to increase my knowledge regarding this scenario.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>ZHA
>>
>>Then ask a question that can be answered: You did not.

> Well i found Oracle Migration Workbench thats allow me to migrate the
> database from Access to Oracle. This is a job requirement LOL.
> Hopefully i will get it. There are certain other things also like VB
> Application. I have to change some SQL code in Visual Basic which is
> little bit different.
>
> Thanks Morgan
> ZHA
Still no question but I will give one bit of advice. The underlying concepts and arcitecture of Oracle are very substantially different from those of MS Access. Just porting your code will likely just make a mess.

Pick up a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and carefully read the first three chapters with special attention to his comments about SQL Server vs. Oracle. Also read the Concepts docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com. You will avoid a lot of swearing ... first at Oracle then at yourself.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington