Re: analyze index

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:46:23 +0800

Richard Foote wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> > Richard Foote wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Holger
> >>
> >> Actually, it doesn't need to visit the table in order to calculate the CF
> >> as it has all the info it needs within the rowids contained in the index.
> >>
> >> Basically, as it reads through the rowids in the leaf pages, if the block
> >> id (or of course file no) changes from one index entry to the next, the
> >> CF is incremented. If consecutive index entries point to the same block,
> >> the CF is not incremented.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Richard
> >
> > Wake up every morning and learn something new. Life is good.
> >

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I kinda wake up every morning, stumble around for a quite a while,
> eventually get the kids to school and myself to work, have a couple of
> cappuccinos to get all systems online and hopefully, all being well, I'm
> finally in a condition to learn something new by early afternoon.
>
> Cheers ;)
>
> Richard

by afternoon I've learnt that I should not have got out of bed...

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"