Re: Oracle 9i on Solaris 8 w/ VxVM - UFS logging?

From: Valeriy Kravchuk <openxs_at_ipnet.kiev.ua>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:31:34 +0200

> What would you use to backup the systems? Is there anything that comes
> with Solaris besides ufsdump for filesystems and dd for raw devices?
> How would I backup filesystems that were larger than a single tape with
> dd? Or does RMAN come with Oracle now?

Your Oracle files should not be large (<= 2GB each), surely each one of them fits on a modern DAT tape. So even if you back up Oracle manually, I do not see any problems. And yes, there should be RMAN with Oracle since 8i at least.

As for the large backups, you can try to use named pipe as a target device, split the data read from the pipe into fixed-sized chunks, compress them if needed, and put each chunk on the desired media, with volume size control. Absolutely possible with mt and non-rewinding tape device to use tape of any size.

There are some third-party backup solutions, like those of http://netvault.com, that work on Solaris.

V.K. Received on Wed Jan 26 2005 - 01:31:34 CST