Re: Drop Index or set Unusable

From: David Aldridge <slimdave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2005 06:10:33 -0800

It's "unusable" for me every time -- dropping and recreating is a real headache. For the rebuild we have a procedure that accepts the name of a table and then submits rebuild commands through DBMS_JOB in order to rebuild multiple indexes at the same time.

In fact the 10g docs specifically refer to this ... http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10736/basicmv.htm#sthref427. Rather oddly they also refer to making the local index partitions on the target table unusable, which to me makes no sense as it can cause "unusable index" errors to be returned to user queries. A more robust method is to load to a non-partitioned table with unusable indexes, rebuild the indexes, then partition exchange to load to the target fact table. Received on Tue Jan 25 2005 - 08:10:33 CST