Re: oracle 9i help?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:46:59 +0100

JerryD wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a new server running Oracle 9i that I just installed.
> I *think* I set everything up correctly, and I can run SQLPlus from the
>
> server with no problem.
> My server name is Kanga, my listener name is LISTENER, and I have a
> service
> named Kanga as well.
>
> I have an Oracle 8.06 client on another machine that can connect
> perfectly
> to 2 other Oracle servers in my building (both Oracle 8.06), and
> neither of
> those servers are in my tnsnames.ora file on the local machine. I have
> *no*
> clue how they connect, but they do.
>
> I cannot connect to the 9i database from my 8.06 client. I get:
> ORA-12514: Message 12514 not found; product=RDBMS80; facility=ORA
>
> After browsing around the internet, I see that others have had this
> problem
> and it always comes down to adding an entry into the tnsnames.ora file.
>
> If that is so, how am I connecting to the other 2 8.06 databases?
> I am *totally* confused....
> Help, please?

You have two issues here:
- you get an error 12514 (which is a network error, as

   all 125xx errors), you provide the exact error message. - you get an error, that the error message for error #12514

   cannot be found.
   This indicates an installation/configuration problem.

Please reveal how you connect from the 806 client to the two other servers, and where you found the tnsnames.ora file.
Please check the registry for an entry, called tns_admin. If there is one, provide it's value.

For now, there are simply too many variables.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel