Re: Oracle career query

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2005 16:20:29 -0800

Good points, Dusan. As a landlord, I think of housing costs as what it costs to buy. When house payments become more than 50% of the pay, that's one way of saying it's too expensive (obviously, I'm cutting details). I tend to forget about people renting, since so few of my friends do, and of my renting cow-orkers, well, they want to buy too. American Dream and all that, my tenants tend not to be professionals. So, my general advice comes from thinking about what a young professional here makes and spends, and I see lots of them leaving high cost areas so they can buy a house. You can live a lot cheaper renting with roomates or little nothing places, but that is more difficult once you have a family. A number of my neighbors have cashed in and now live like kings in the midwest. Some of them are very unhappy about it now, and can't afford to come back.

You won't see me moving to any large German cities any time soon! :-) Besides, don't successful professionals there sit in traffic in the Autobahn rather than rent in the cities? I'm not convinced it's any different than the throngs who live in Pleasanton (huh, home of Peoplesoft) and commute to Redwood City.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"See office locations and contact information for the combined