oracle 9i help?

From: JerryD <jdubuke_at_gpdservices.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2005 13:23:43 -0800

Hi All,
I have a new server running Oracle 9i that I just installed. I *think* I set everything up correctly, and I can run SQLPlus from the

server with no problem.
My server name is Kanga, my listener name is LISTENER, and I have a service
named Kanga as well.

I have an Oracle 8.06 client on another machine that can connect perfectly
to 2 other Oracle servers in my building (both Oracle 8.06), and neither of
those servers are in my tnsnames.ora file on the local machine. I have *no*
clue how they connect, but they do.

I cannot connect to the 9i database from my 8.06 client. I get: ORA-12514: Message 12514 not found; product=RDBMS80; facility=ORA

After browsing around the internet, I see that others have had this problem
and it always comes down to adding an entry into the tnsnames.ora file.

If that is so, how am I connecting to the other 2 8.06 databases? I am *totally* confused....
Help, please? Received on Mon Jan 24 2005 - 15:23:43 CST