Re: Drop Index or set Unusable

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:42:40 -0800

nimonic wrote:

> I have a generic stored procedure that sets indexes unusable to speed
> up inserts in a data warehousing environment. I have been told by the
> DBA that setting indexes unusable is not standard data warehousing
> practice and the indexes should be dropped and recreated instead. I
> was told at an Oracle course that setting the index unusable was the
> better option.
>
> The tables are partitioned by range with local partitioned indexes.
>
> What is the best method and why?
>
> Version 8.1.7.4.0

The one that was tested. Has anyone even bothered to establish that anything useful is gained by doing what either of you have suggested? Do you actually have an issue based on loading without doing anything to the indexes?

The reason I ask is that I resolved this argument at a company in this area last year by making them do it three different ways. The developer's way, the DBA's way, and my way which was to do nothing. The difference was inconsequential in their situation which leads me to ask whether that might be the case for you too.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington