New to Oracle question (Exp/imp): THanks!

From: James Tilby <tilbyj_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2005 06:34:53 -0800

Thank you to Rauf and MBPP for answering the question below. I'd have posted this as a reply, but Google isn't obliging...

Thanks again

James

James Tilby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wondered if someone knew the answer to this question about the
> Oracle imp/exp tools.
>
> If I have a Windows based Oracle server, can I export a database using
> exp from that server, and then re-import it onto Unix based Oracle
> Server? In both cases, I would be working with Windows based oracle
> client software. The servers would also be the same major release
> (9.2.x).
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Yes you can export/import over the SQL*Net/Net8/Net9. Just be aware that you use the exp release of the lower version out of the two databases. Imp release must be the same as target database. Also there may be excessive characterset converions if both databases and your client session have different character sets. To avoid this, set your client NLS_LANG to same characterset as source database before export. Before import, set your client NLS_LANG to same characterset as target database.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Sun Jan 23 2005 - 08:34:53 CST