Re: Index compression vs. table compression

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:03:18 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:csv1if$fnr$1_at_news-02.connect.com.au...
> If, Richard, you would care to point out a mistake in the words I actually
> used, and not in the interpretation you wish to foist on them by
> interpolating words I never used, then feel free to do so.
>
> I have no idea why you are so desperate to persuade yourself and others
> that I have made a mistake. Is Daniel paying you or something? After all,
> he recently posted a comment that I never apologise for making an error,
> just as you have come close to here... to which my response at that time
> was a quick search on Google and the finding of 98 (if I remember
> correctly) such occasions.
>
> If you have a personal agenda, Richard... please take it elsewhere.

Dear Howard,

There is no hidden agenda, there is no mysterious plot, there is no personal vendetta, there is no secret monies being exchanged for unscrupulous deeds, there is no mission to select the 10 most beautiful male and female DBAs in the world in order to transport them to a hidden base in outer space so that a deadly chemical agent can kill off the rest of mankind so that the select 10 (via a FTS of course) can come back and DBAs rule the world ...

What there is is little old me trying to explain why you are misleading and wrong in what you have said at various times in this thread and *why* you are wrong. You disagree, fine, I'll get over it. Now you might regard it as being nit-picky (although I always thought people who expect precision as you often do would regard being nit-picky a virtue), non technical and something that can be dismissed with a whatever, but perhaps others may appreciate some constructive clarification.

Hopefully I (and of course others) have helped to clarify how the LRU algorithm really works in relation to FTS, how CACHE/NOCACHE really works, why one would use a RECYCLE pool for *random reads* rather than FTS, why the optimizer is *not likely* to read small lookup tables via a FTS even for a single key lookup, etc.

Technical enough for ya ? Keep smiling ...

Cheers

Richard Received on Sun Jan 23 2005 - 07:03:18 CST