Re: why not a full table scan

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:24:39 +0000 (UTC)

I can't reproduce your problem on 9.2.0.6 I got a full tablescan when emulating your test.

Your conclusion about not producing histograms is not necessarily correct. You have only two values for the column, so a histogram would be a 'frequency histogram', not what Oracle calls a 'height balanced' histogram - and it would record only two end-points, which would get reported as one bucket.

Run the following SQL and see if this gives you any better information (I've deleted some of the result sets):

select table_name , column_name , num_buckets , num_distinct, density from user_tab_columns
where table_name='TEST_DBMS';

TABLE_NAME COLUMN_NAME NUM_BUCKETS NUM_DISTINCT DENSITY SAMPLE_SIZE

-------------------- -------------------- ----------- ------------ ----------
 -----------
TEST_DBMS            LAST_DDL_TIME                  1            2
4.2909E-07     1153612

select table_name, column_name, endpoint_number, endpoint_value from user_tab_histograms
where
 table_name = 'TEST_DBMS'
order by
 column_name, endpoint_number
;

TABLE_NAME COLUMN_NAME ENDPOINT_NUMBER ENDPOINT_VALUE

TEST_DBMS            LAST_DDL_TIME                    993      2453374.5
TEST_DBMS            LAST_DDL_TIME                1153612      2453384.5

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Public Appearances - schedule updated Dec 23rd 2004