Re: New IBM Nonsense

From: <thu.nnguyen_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2005 02:30:26 -0800

Why wouldn't you believe what was just read? They are industry standard benchmarks and the full disclosure of the result are available at www.tpc.org

There is a TPC-C result running on identical Power5 hardware (8 way p5 570). You can check it out at www.tpc.org. It shows DB2 result is ~430k and Oracle is at ~370k tansactions /minute. DB2 significantly faster.

> While Oracle was run on:
> HP Integrity rx5670 Cluster 64P (16 x 4-way Intel Itanium2 6M 1.5GHz)
> Unisys ES7000 Aries 420 Ent. Server (16-way Intel Itanium2 1.5GHz)
>
> Wow ... I guess IBM is saying a Power5 at 1.9GHz is equivalent to an
> Itanium2 at 1.5GHz: I don't think so.

Yep Power5 hardware is much much faster than Itanium 2s. If IBM were to run Oracle on a 64 way Power5 box, the result would be much closer (but still below) to the 3.2million results from DB2, although I doubt they ever would.

And the results they quoted are the highest results ever recorded with the Oracle database.

> Only one citation is for identical hardware and there isn't enough
> information to make a comparison meaningful. I'm thinking IBM is
afraid
> of a true head-to-head comparison or they wouldn't have had to stoop
so
> low.

I already cited a head to head result. DB2 was faster.

News==----