Re: Index compression vs. table compression

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:46:59 +1100

DA Morgan wrote:
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

>> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

>>> Woof. You remind me of a lapdog.
>>>
>>> What 'material'? And did anything Jonathan write actually make a
>>> substantive difference to the recommendations being made?
>>

>> Not perhaps to the CACHE/NOCACHE vs KEEP/RECYCLE discussion that you
>> were having with Rick, but certainly the accurate description of the
>> aging out of blocks from Oracle's caches is worth a public surfacing
>> from time to time as so many seem to believe that Oracle uses a
>> straightforward MRU (or possibly LRU) mechanism.

> Howard wasn't asking a serious question ... note the insult and the
> condescending attitude.

Daniel: you're an irritating little tit that knows bugger-all about Oracle but likes to make people who know even less squirm.

That is one half of your approach. The other is to suck up to the "gurus" big-time. Presumably hoping that some of their ability/reputation rubs off on you? I can only guess at your precise motivation.

Jonathan's precision on the LRU list was, in my opinion, not helpful, since it alters nothing about the actual content of the discussion that was taking place. When someone has mastered why CACHE/NOCACHE and KEEP/RECYCLE are effectively mutually exclusive, and what they set out to achieve, then we can refine the discussion to include nuances about how the LRU is actually used. Before then, it is just a distraction.

But I don't expect you, in all your readiness to lap up the attention of the "gurus", to grasp that point.

> He was just looking for a fight and he'd rather
> pick it with me than with Mr. Lewis.

On the contrary, I told Jonathan his contribution added not very much at this point too. The difference is that Jonathan is a perfectly decent chap who doesn't demean people by inflating his own self-importance. You do. That makes rather a substantial difference to the approach needed in each case.

> It should it obvious by now that
> when the bell rings this dog doesn't salivate. Even an old dog can learn
> a new trick.

If only you could actually learn, Daniel.

HJR Received on Sat Jan 22 2005 - 00:46:59 CST