Re: Oracle Schemas for our Informix App

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2005 17:05:38 -0800

To amplify on what the others have already posted, a major reason for having separate instances is different recoverability requirements. What I've found often in user testing/training instances is you want to be able to go back to certain known points as they are finished with things. Another major reason is tuning - some queries can really impact an instance. While the more modern versions of Oracle can deal with these issues in a single instance, they require some amount of experience and education to do right. I'd advise going with separate instances until you really understand the issues and have a few, um, learning experiences.

Another thing I've noticed is that it can be real handy to be able to take over a test instance for a time when users aren't testing. jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"De-supported? What do you mean?" - zn