Re: Sporadic ORA-04030

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2005 16:53:27 -0800

Ed Stevens wrote:
> Platform: Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 on Win2K
>

> The second suggestion is to address the application. Am I wrong in
> thinking an app that holds this many open cursors is a problem? I've
> never had cause to look at this before and don't have a feel for what
> is "good" vs. "excessive."

Have you seen Note 274496.1?

I have one app that needs open_cursors=7000 (in 8i, probably less with session_cached_cursors in 9206 that I'm soon to try). It is possible that your app is written incorrectly, but 60 doesn't seem too bad.

> BTW, the box has 7gb physical memory and 19gb total virtual memory.
>
> Since the problem is sporadic, I'm not sure how we can even test any
> proposed solutions.

This is one of those that has so many hidden variables (reusing cursors? pl cacheing? memory leaks? shared pool fragging?) you just set open_cursors up and maybe the shared pool, too, until it goes away. For those who sneer at this approach, I suggest looking at the cursor leak issues fixed in 9.2.0.6.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Marijuana: Wee" - Strangely truncated listing on Cox Digital Guide.