Re: Netapps vs EMC -- db file scattered read

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:43:44 -0800

Randy Harris wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>jmourik_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>>>Yes, it is.
>>>BTW, this is just one query but it's symptomatic...
>>>
>>>jan
>>
>>SAN vsNAS is part of the explanation but hardly explains the
>>entire delta.
>>
>>1. What else is going on with the storage arrays?
>>2. Is one fiber and the other copper?
>>3. What switches?
>>4. Anything else on the NAS network?
>>5. Are they all 10K or 15K drives with the same number of spindles?
>>6. Have you benchmarked no-database access to the drives from the server?
>>
>>Testing by Oracle Corp. intself has shown SAN faster than NAS
>>but not by anything even remotely resembling what you cite.
>

> Daniel, are those results published somewhere?  I've read some things from
> various NAS manufacturers but am skeptical of what they publish.

Internal docs as you would expect. But you really can trust the benchmarks produced by companies that sell single systems that can be both NAS and SAN as they have no reason to favour one side or the other.

>>I suspect you are comparing apples to durian: Both fruit but that's
>>pretty much where the resemblence ends.
>>
>>I'd be interested in knowing more.

Wouldn't we all. If you contact me off-line I can put you in touch with a couple of people that might be able to help you with specific questions.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington