Re: Data Structure Question

From: <pobox002_at_bebub.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2005 08:55:40 -0800

yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > to something like

> > Even given generously short attribute names, this does not appear
> > be shrinking the data in any way. In fact it is now looking larger
> > (it is). Unless you are also sure you only have one or two lines on
> > an invoice.
>
> If he can create an XML schema to constrain the XML data, he can take
> advantage of structured storage. One of the advantages is reduced
> storage requirements. In that case, Oracle "compresses" the XML data
> according to its conformant XML schema.
>
> Yong Huang

So in that case it would revert back to the same size as the equivalent relational data, or are you saying it would somehow be smaller? The OP appeared to want to reduce space, not keep it the same. There will still be an increase in complexity and code to deal with the XML compared with the standard relational approach. I am assuming some benefit is required to cover the cost of the added complexity. The fact that the data doesn't get bigger doesn't seem like it might be enough. Received on Fri Jan 21 2005 - 10:55:40 CST