Re: Oracle Schemas for our Informix App

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:57:53 +0100

David E. Grove wrote:
> My first post was a little misleading.
>
> Let me apologize and try again.
>
> We currently have, and plan to continue to have three "databases". (Quotes
> because what was implemented as an Informix database, might, conceivably be
> an Oracle schema). Currently, they are, for legacy reasons, all running on
> the same hardware. We recognize the undesirability of this.
>
> We will be using newly purchased Sun hardware for the new Oracle based
> system. The old Sun box will be available for us to use for a development
> platform.
>
> So, one of the three databases (development) will be on a separate box. It
> can thus be patched, etc., separately from the production box.
>
> The production box will host two "databases": the actual production
> "database", and a second "database" for user beta testing and training.
>
> So, now the question is-- and, again, I apologize for the first post which
> incorrectly stated we were going to put all three "databases" on a single
> (production) machine-- whether to use schemas or databases for the two
> user-related "databases".
>
> In light of Mark's helpful comments, it makes great sense to me to have the
> development platform quite distinct from the production box. But, I could
> imagine that the two "databases" on the production box might be acceptably
> managed as two schemas within the same database (and using a single
> instance). Seems like then the questions about kernel parms in /etc/system
> would disappear. (Just a single instance).
>
> Any further comments?

It's not quite clear to me what you expect... Mark put it rather clear, I'd say; you can go from ideal (3 different machines, physically separated) to practical (one instance/database, one machine) and anything in between.
There are pros and cons to all solutions, and most of these are only valid for the poster of the question; I cannot and will not comment on those.

I can share what I would like: 3 machines. And yes, fiddle those system parameters - you have to, see the manual. At least, I can fiddle on one machine and measure the impact, without disturbing development or production (I miss acceptance test in your mails).
And yes, you can patch one machine, and measure the impact, test whether your application still works as expected, before patching development/acceptance/production.

You can work out the cons...

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel