Re: Newbie needs help. Studying for OCA.

From: Alex Reid <none_at_anonymous.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:14:11 -0600

Frank wrote:
> Alex Reid wrote:
> [...]
>

>> Notice that the value for the EM agent port is null.
>>
>> Attempting to open the Ultra Search or iSQLplus yields the same error.
>> I  believe that we are probably on the right track with the assumption
>> that  the missing http service is the issue. Hopefully, someone will
>> be able to guide me on getting that installed soon.

> [cut]
>

> Hello Alex,
>
> All my experiences with 10g are based on Unix (Solaris), but I don't
> think there will be that much difference with the software that is being
> installed with Windows versions of Oracle. The Apache (Oracle) http
> server is not in the server software anymore. The download that will let
> you install Oracle 10g is now reduced to only one zipfile (or one
> cd-rom). The Apache webserver is on the additional software download,
> BUT you don't need that for the dbconsole port (tcp:5500) for connecting
> to the Enterprise Manager. The EM process is NOT a http process, so
> installing Apache won't help you I'm afraid.
>
> Can you find a file in your ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin like emctl?
> You might need to configure the console software using another tool, if
> I am not mistaken emca.
>
> As said, I only have experience with this on Unix, but still hope this
> helps.
>
> G'luck.

The $ORA_HOME$ and the $ORA_BASE$ files are not where they are supposed to be according to the description provided in my book. As a matter of fact, the installation path is not like it is described in the book either.

I have downloaded an educational copy of Solaris 9. I guess I might as well learn how to administer oracle on unix, seeing as how all the job postings I see never mention a windows infrastructure & always mention unix (particularly AIX)

Look at me! I have zero unix or oracle experience, but here I am trying to get a job for it. I guess that's what almost a year of unemployment &   running out of insurance will drive you to do.

Wonderful! Now my DVD-RW will not recognize blank media. Not that I completely understand what to do with these 4 .iso files I just downloaded from Sun. What a noob I am! Received on Thu Jan 20 2005 - 19:14:11 CST