Re: Sun ZFS vs. Oracle ASM

From: Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik_at_Sun.COM>
Date: 21 Jan 2005 00:34:01 GMT

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> writes:

>Now as it happens I doubt that they really did throw away all the old stuff
>(and dtrace is just waiting to compare the code to prove or disprove this)
>but it is very very rare that throwing everything out is a good idea - and
>filesystems have pretty much worked for the last 20+ years perfectly well.

With software it is almost always a good idea to start from scratch; but its also so much more expensive that people have started claiming software reuse is good.

To say that filesystems have "worked well" is, I think, overstating the quality of filesystems and storage sub systems quite a bit.

Casper Received on Thu Jan 20 2005 - 18:34:01 CST