Re: Periodic management of Oracle10g partitions!

From: Nish <nishant.aggarwal_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2005 22:24:49 -0800

Hi David,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
My problem being that the data rate is high of the order of 3000 rows/sec and disk space is limited, so I need to backup the data fast enough at refresh rate of say every 6 hours. So how to setup a
"rolling" partition condition using "time" as the parameter.
I mean if the oldest partition gets filled, how to replace it with a new partition, so that the new data gets filled in the new partition without affecting the data flow.
Here's what I meant,

create table t(id number(20),name varchar2(20),mytime date) partition by range (mytime)(
partition part1 values less than (CURRENT_TIME+6) tablespace users,
partition part2 values less than (CURRENT_TIME+12) tablespace users,
partition part3 values less than (CURRENT_TIME+18) tablespace users, partition part4 values less than (CURRENT_TIME+18) tablespace users );

So that when "part2" starts getting filled, I should be able to backup
"part1" and also add another tablespace adding after "part4".

I hope this should have clarified your doubts. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Nish Received on Thu Jan 20 2005 - 00:24:49 CST