Re: Imaging Windows based oracle Servers and MS Syprep - any gotchas?

From: Jesse <davisjj_public_at_comcast.net>
Date: 18 Jan 2005 09:51:37 -0800

I've never used sysprep on the Windows Server O/S, but I would imagine that you may run into problems with Oracle as an install (at least on Windows) seems to have a lot of hooks into the O/S related to computer name and such. Sysprep is used after software is installed, custom config, etc. It takes the machine back to a "just out of the box" state, while keeping all of your customizations.

I once tried to change the name of our Oracle Management Server (actually running on Windows XP, normal PC workstation). In the end. it was possible, but not without a lot of headaches trying to get OMS working again. I would suspect that this would hold true for a "normal" Oracle server as well. This is just my opinion, and I don't really have all the facts to back it up (just a gut feeling). Does Oracle have anything like sysprep that should be used in conjunction with the MS utility?

As for the actual imaging, the imaging software should have no effect on the files, install, etc. It should simply make a compressed (or not) package of your disk/partition (either via file-by-file transfer or by block transfer, depending upon the software).

Jesse Received on Tue Jan 18 2005 - 11:51:37 CST